PARNELL SUMMER SCHOOL 2013
Sunday 11 August to Friday 16 August.
The summer school in 2013 will mark the fiftieth anniversary of John F. Kennedy’s visit to Ireland and of his assassination. Our theme is “Parnell and Kennedy: Lost Leaders”, and there are many parallels in the two lives:
- both were young leaders who died prematurely – Parnell at 45, Kennedy at 46;
- whereas Kennedy had Irish ancestors, Parnell had an American mother;
- Parnell made a triumphant visit to the US in 1880, and Kennedy famously came to Ireland in June 1963;
- the sense of possibility in Kennedy’s vision of the “New Frontier” chimes with Parnell’s assertion that “no man has the right to fix the boundary to the march of a nation”; and
- both Parnell and Kennedy have become part of the mythologies, as well as part of the history, of their respective countries.
The 2013 Parnell Summer School will explore the place of Kennedy and Parnell in history, and will pay tribute to these remarkable men in the beautiful setting of the Avondale estate. Other aspects of the Irish-American connection will also be considered, and the speakers will include leading authorities from Ireland and America. It will be a fitting contribution to the nationwide celebration of the Gathering next year.
FELIX M. LARKIN
Further Information/Booking please contact:
5 Church View Park, Killiney.
Ph: 01 2852113. E mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Please note that pre-booking is advisable)